Llandovery is a small market town of approximately 1,700 inhabitants in the eastern part of Carmarthenshire. Stop and take time to visit this ancient Drovers' Town, and enjoy the small shops and cafes that share some of the spirit of the town, its people and environs.
Its Welsh name means 'The Church Amidst The Waters' (A 'llan' is a church enclosure and 'ymlith-y-dyfroedd' means amidst the waters). This is indeed true as on the one side of the valley floor is Afon Tywi, ('afon' means river) on the other side Afon Bran; running through the centre of the town itself is Y Bawddwr (people born and bred in the town are called Ciw Bawddwr or 'Bawddwr Chicks') and the fourth river is Afon Gwydderig, so that there are four rivers meandering their way along a very narrow valley floor.
Besides the splendid ruin of the town's Norman Castle stands the Heritage Centre where you can learn about Twm Sion Cati (Thomas Jones, 1530 - 1609) the notorious Highwayman, and about William Williams, Pantycelyn, (1717-91) the famous Welsh hymn-writer who wrote the words translated as 'Guide me O Thou Great Redeemer'.
Visit Williams' grave at Llanfair Church or go in search of the tomb of Ficer Rhys Pritchard (1579 - 1644), clergyman and poet, author of Cannwyll y Cymro (The Welshman's Candle) - a collection of moral teachings in poetical form. His reputed desk can still be seen in the Heritage Centre, together with his cwpwrdd tri-darn.
Visit the building today known as The King's Head and see the adjoining building that was the home of Banc yr Eidion Du (The Bank of the Black Ox), a Drovers' Bank that was eventually bought out by Lloyds Bank.
Other places of interest include the town's famous public school Llandovery College and the Old Printing Shop that was once one of Wales' most important printing centres. Not far outside the town is Myddfai, whose famous doctors - Meddygon Myddfai (The Physicians of Myddfai) hold a very important place in the history of Welsh medicine.
Also near at hand is the famous Llyn y Fan Fach with its legend of The Lady of the Lake and her magical cattle. A little further away is the impressive Llyn Brianne reservoir, standing in the mountains above Rhandirmwyn, a beautiful valley that once throbbed to the beat of the lead-mines in the area......
Here in Llandovery you will discover tremendous scenery, the warmth of the people and the presence of its living past!